Our Bury reporter, Gill, has shared with us one of her quick and easy recipes – Creamed pea and onions with bacon and rice.
She said: “This is quick and easy and can largely be made from ingredients you’re likely to have in your kitchen. There are a lot of alternative ingredients you could experiment with too.”
Creamed peas and onions with bacon and rice
2 tablespoons olive oil (vegetable or sunflower oil is also okay)
Four shallots (you can use a bunch of spring onions or an ordinary onion if you don’t have/ can’t find shallots)
280 gm bacon (you can also use gammon, cooked ham or pancetta)
280 gm frozen peas
Half a vegetable stock cube
75 ml cream (yogurt, sour cream, crème fraiche or cream cheese can also be used. Even milk)
1 tablespoon of plain flour
140 gm plain rice
Optional: lemon juice, parsley
1. Peel the shallots and fry gently in the oil.
2. Add the bacon and fry until it and the shallots are just beginning to brown.
3. Throw in the frozen peas and stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Barely cover the contents of the pan with water, bring to the boil and crumble in the half stock cube.
5. Stir the flour into the cream and add to the peas, bacon, and shallots.
6. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a very low heat.
7. Fill a large pan with water and a pinch of salt and bring the water to a boil.
8. Add rice and boil for ten minutes.
9. Drain the rice and stir in pea, bacon, and shallot mixture.
10. Add lemon juice and parsley if desired.