After taking a shopping trip down memory lane, so many more closed doors were opened, and more stores have come to light!
What actually happened to some of our beloved stores which made shopping in Manchester amazing?
Here are five more stores that Manchester misses.
The Market Centre
There are two main things that we remember the market for– music and fashion.
It became a haven between the 1970s and 80s, where many records could be purchased from a record store, called Manchester Records Underground Imports.
The market contained a store called Stolen From Ivor, which was the first shop in North England to have skinny jeans and stock Levi’s. A fashion game-changer!
Sadly, it closed in the late 1980s, after the entrance where the escalators stood was demolished to make way for the Tesco that still stands there today.
Marshall and Snelgrove
The store was first opened on Oxford Road in London, 1837, by James Marshall. Once his shop assistant John Snelgrove joined, the shop was rebranded to Marshall and Snelgrove in 1851.
After retiring in 1871, his son James C Marshall took over the store and continued the business which infamously sold lace, fur, gloves and mantels.
When James C Marshall passed away in 1925, the brand opened more branches in industrial cities like Manchester.
Due to the impact of the First World War, the store merged with Debenhams and Freebody, maintaining their own brand identity. In 1969, the store was fully closed. By 1979, all Marshall and Snelgrove stores were rebranded.
H. Wiles Ltd
Ah, the centrepiece of many childhood memories! Stood next to Lewis’s Arcade, this was the go-to place for train sets, clowns, and all types of toys that built many childhoods.
What started as Herbert Wiles, trading furs and corn became a beloved brand that opened its first branches in Liverpool and Southport.
Originally, the shop opened next to Pall Mall in 1896. As most toys were imported from Germany, Wiles and his wife would travel to the Leipzig Fair every spring for their stock.
In 1901, the store was reopened in Market Street.
Affleck and Brown
Compared to other stores, the history of this store is rather simple.
The store was first established in the 1860s and was known for being a silk mercer, shawls and mantle manufacturer, selling furs and drapers.
Due to the Second World War devastating many areas across England, shopping at Oldham Street declined, affecting the economy of the stores.
In the 1950s, Debenhams took over in hopes of maintaining the store, eventually closing in 1973.
Affleck’s Palace still stands in the Northern Quarter today, operating as an indoor market, still upkeeping the original spirit of the store with a unique twist.
After refusing to join Marks and Spencer’s, Henry’s opened up on Market Street in 1923.
It very quickly became the alternate and cheaper go-to store for many shoppers, with prices beating those selling similar luxury goods.
Due to popular demand, the store expanded in the 1960s and continued to blossom.
In the 1970s, the store was demolished to make room for the Arndale Shopping Centre, which is still very popular today.
Did you miss part one? Be sure to check it out here.
Which stores do you miss that bring memories flooding back? Let us know in the comments.