It’s veganuary – vegan + January! It’s the month of trying something new, packing more fruit and veg onto your plate and reducing your meat intake for a variety of reasons.
Many thanks to Pamela and Anne from Marvellously Meat Free for this recipe. You can tune into their latest podcast with our reporter Carole Ogden here!
Tofu is a real staple for vegetarian and vegan diets but very bland! The trick is to find a punch of flavour and to cook the tofu so it has a nice crisp surface texture. Fortunately tofu soaks up flavour like a sponge so here is a reliable marinade to get you started.
- 150 gms plain firm tofu drained and chopped into bite sized pieces, pop in a bowl ready to be covered with one of the following marinades.
- Sweet and Sour
- 1 cubed cm of fresh ginger – peeled and grated
- 4 tbspn dark soy sauce
- 100ml water
- 2 tbspn maple syrup
- 2 tbspn olive oil
- 1 tspn sesame seeds
- Stir all marinade ingredients together and pour over chopped tofu, cover and leave in fried for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Drain the chopped tofu of marinade, keeping the marinade to one side.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and and add the drained tofu turning frequently until browned on all sides and a little crisp on the surface.
- Serve tofu on noodles, rice, lentils or a salad. The marinade can be heated up (leave cool for over salad)and poured over the finished dish or kept in the fridge to be used once more.
Thank you to Marvellously Meat Free for sharing this recipe with us!
Enquiries to: [email protected]