It’s veganuary – vegan + January! It’s the month of trying something new, packing more fruit and veg onto your plate and reducing your meat intake for a variety of reasons.
Many thanks to Pamela and Anne from Marvellously Meat Free for this recipe. You can tune into their latest podcast with our reporter Carole Ogden here!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Great hot or cold
- 1 onion chopped
- 55 gms vegetable fat
- 115 gms red lentils
- 170 gms brown rice
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbspn wholemeal flour
- 1 tbspn parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put vegetable fat in a pan and heat, saute onion for 5 minutes
- Add lentils and rice and stir to cover both with the vegetable fat
- Add tomatoes, garlic and bay leaf, stir and cover all with boiling water
- Cook with a closed lid until soft – check frequently and add water as required
- Mix flour with a little cold water, adding water slowly whilst stirring until a smooth cream is achieved
- Remove bay leaf from cooked main mix in pan, add flour mix and stir, cook for a few further minutes
- Once the mixture is thick transfer it to a deep baking tray, pat down and bake at gas mark 6, 200 degrees C, 180 Fan for 15 minutes
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with chopped parsley
- Lovely served with salad, roasted vegetable or simply with some chutney.
Thank you to Marvellously Meat Free for sharing this recipe with us!
Enquiries to: [email protected]