It’s Nutrition and Hydration Week! The Greater Manchester Nutrition and Hydration programme delivered by Age UK Salford is raising awareness of eating and drinking well to help us feel good!
Do you know these foodie facts?
- An avocado has more than twice as much potassium as a banana! Potassium is a mineral that helps control the balance of fluids in the body and also helps the heart work properly.
- Broccoli contains twice the vitamin C of an orange and almost as much calcium as whole milk, and the calcium is better absorbed!
- To increase the protein in peanut butter, Brewer’s yeast can be mixed in – a useful tip for vegetarians. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of our bodies!
- Lemons are considered one of the world’s healthiest foods – one lemon contains your daily dose of vitamin C! Try adding it to a mug of warm water to kick start your day!
- Eggs contain the highest quality food protein known. All parts of an egg are edible, including the shell which has a high calcium content.
- The mushroom is the only non-animal natural source of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body.
Do you know any more food facts? Let us know!